Search This Blog

Welcome

I'm pleased to welcome you to my blog on the Washington Fire Department, which I started last year after starts and stops over the years. I've never been a firefighter, but my father and other relatives have been firefighters for years. Some of the posts in here were extracted from The News-Reporter and some I wrote from my own memories of fires in my lifetime

William T. Johnson

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Training, 2009


Two city-owned homes on Rusher Street were consumed in flames last week, used to train Washington and Wilkes County firefighters as they practiced hose team entry techniques in an actual burning building. The two old homes were due for demolition to make way for a new neighborhood of privately owned homes, and the city offered their use to the fire department for training. "We train a lot in our building fire simulator, but you can't beat a fire in a real structure for teaching some parts of fire fighting," said Capt. Kevin Tucker, training officer.

No comments:

Post a Comment