Search This Blog

Welcome

I'm pleased to welcome you to my blog on the Washington Fire Department, which I started last year after starts and stops over the years. I've never been a firefighter, but my father and other relatives have been firefighters for years. Some of the posts in here were extracted from The News-Reporter and some I wrote from my own memories of fires in my lifetime

William T. Johnson

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bank Building, 1936

I remember that a few months after the Country Club  fire we were still at the hotel , 1936, when there was a fire at the Bank Building across Jefferson Street. The bank was out of business, but on the top two floors were offices of lawyers, the County School Superintendent, and other government agencies. I remember being awakened by Louie Amason's cries of "Fi-yah!". The fire was limited to the top floor with water and smoke damage throughout and I remember Rufus Rider's shouts while working with the remains the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment